you may have noticed the new fair trade himalayan salt lamps in the shop. these are my babies…literally…i’m so infatuated with them! as a purveyor of all things health, from eating clean food, to using non-toxic products, my passion here runs deep and i can honestly say these salt lamps work.
it all started many years ago when pregnant with my youngest, liam. i felt a primal need to change the way i lived, and that included what i put into my body. i was growing a new being inside of me after all. i started gradually, joining a local food co-op, then going organic with most food, and eliminating toxic products in our home. during pregnancy, i read so much that i felt my eyes would be permanently damaged. but, information on natural health, healing, pregnancy, and more kept coming my way. what i learned forever changed my life, and my health, for the better.
one thing that i always suffered from was allergies. after skin tests showed my allergies were vast (mostly environmental) and so as you can imagine, the changing seasons here always caused me some distress. my breathing would be hampered during ragweed season, and in spring the pollens would make my nose drip all the time.
after learning about the healing benefits of salt, yes, plain old salt, i put this information to test (not refined table salt, but natural irish sea salt, grey salt, and pink himalayan salt). i purchased a salt lamp and placed it in our bedroom, within days i noticed a difference in my breathing. it seemed to open my nasal passages and i could breathe with ease.
this is just my personal experience but there are now studies done, and many testimonials showing the efficacy of non-refined salt and salt lamps made with himalayan pink salt.
some of the tried, tested and true benefits are:
- salt is a natural anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, and antimicrobial. so these himalayan salt lamps are literally cleaning your air and protecting your from getting ill
- for centuries people rest and rejuvenate in salt mines and caves, for various periods of time to help aid their mood and overall sense of calm
- the salt is said to help aid breathing in those with respiratory issues, allergies and asthma
- using a himalayan salt lamp near electronics, like a computer or cell phone, helps reduce the harmful electromagnetic fields they emit
how does it work?
- much like the time prior to a thunderstorm, when you can feel the build up of tension in the air, the positive ions in the air are reaching their peak. once the storm hits, the air produces electrical charges in the atmosphere and rain falls. the resulting oxygen-rich air bursts with negative ions, these negative ions cleanse the position ions resulting in a calm state. himalayan salt lamps have a negative (ion) charge, cleansing the air just like a thunderstorm.
- salt lamps do not generate negative ions themselves. they are "hygroscopic" which means that they attract moisture to produce humidity. the salt lamps need a heat source, in this case, an incandescent light bulb, to accelerate evaporation thus producing negative ions that are so good for our health.
having one of these in your home, office, dorm, or any space is like bringing in the cleansed, healthy, and vibrantly charged air after an afternoon thunderstorm. it’s good for you, good for your environment, and good for the soul.